Figure Drawing at the Mount

This blog is set up for art students in Kurt Nicaise's Figure Drawing class at the College of Mount St. Joseph. Here they will post thier Artist Investigation Assignments and comment on their classmates' posts.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Artist Investigation Project: Andrew Wyeth by Kevin Cocanougher


Model set with Braids, Medium: Tempera on Masonite 1979




Wyeth Self Portrait Medium: Prints



Medium: Oil on canvas 1985




Indian summer, Medium: painting 1977



Figure Lying in the bedMedium: Tempera on Panel 1948



Crown of Flowers Medium: Dry Brush on Paper, 1973
Biography

Andrew Wyeth was born July 12th 1917 in Chards’ Ford Pennsylvania. He grew up with the teachings of his father, ho was killed when their car stalled on railroad tracks near their home and was struck by a train. Andrew dad taught him techniques of art and he received a general education by private tutors. Wyeth debuted with his first show in New York City in the 1937 at the age of twenty, and he sold it out. Wyeth is now 88 years old and still painting in the same timeless style he began with over six decades ago.

• Born in Pennsylvania
• Masters in book illustrators
• Started as a painter
• studied under his father
• Painted realistically even though it was reject by most modernist

4. Analyze - you should select one of your chosen works and analyze it based on the elements of art and principles of design. Why is this work impressive? How does the composition contribute to its success? You may also choose to comment on material and media use in the artwork.
Figure laying in the bed, 1948this piece is made by Tempera on Panel. I chose this peace because it says so much about the work. This work is so impressive because all the details in it. Look at this it kind off look like the background and the lady could go as individual pictures. I’m so impressive just looking at this because it looks as if you had tock it with a camera. The color, texture and weight of the girl just makes you fell as if you are in the room.

He was a quite inter resting man that love do paint and illustrator of people. I remember reading that they sometimes referred to him as the Painter of the People. I like Andrew Wyeth work for he seems to try and catch the reality of all of life in his work. The way He uses of proportion really stands out to me. I really respect that was still able to go on with his art work after losing his dad and brother at a young age, Andrew is inspiration ton me. If I could draw like him I would die a happy man. I love how he showed the character in his paintings as well as drawing. I wish I could go and see his work in person, but I don’t I just got to see it on my computer.

4 Comments:

Blogger Angie Espelage said...

Uh oh, it looks like some of your images are broken. The first one works though! I wish the other ones did too, Wyeth is so well known and his art is wonderful too!

12:26 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

When I first heard of Wyeth and started studying his work in advanced drawing, I fell in love with it. His study drawings are often very sketchy and have such a life and personality that's truly "in-the-moment" and beautiful on its own. Like Kevin, I also love his use of perspective and proportion and his ability to really speak about the model and about life itself. His ability to render realistically - as if taken with a camera - is truly phenomenal and speaks to us of the importance of truly observing something and making it appear just as we saw it to be.

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wyeth is a master and his eye for detail is beyond compare, but his work is so incredibly sad. There is no hope in his work. I imagine he was very unhappy.

Sherri

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like his style.
Some of the artwork has a spooky feeling to it.
Take the artwork Crown of Flowers Medium for instance.
This artwork seem quit eerie. The head looks as if it is floating.
His work is very well crafted.

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home